By Christopher McCollum
From those of us at Culture of Spirits, to those of us in the United States of America, we send you our warmest greetings and well wishes, hoping that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! This Holiday time of year is one for celebration, coming together, putting the past year into perspective and looking forward to new challenges and experiences in the coming one. It’s a time to honor traditions and set aside work for a few days, to fully remember why your loved ones are called as such.
Seeing how my family does not start The Feast until late dinner time, giving plenty of time for afternoon football snacks and fulfillment to wear off, it means that I have time to give thanks in the way that only a Cultured lover of Spirits can!
- Culture of Spirits and Micah A. Hanks: My best friend, and impeccably cultured gentleman who sports the best suits, the suavest shoes, and is the best bartender I know. Inviting me on to write for Culture of Spirits has been one of the most pleasing moments of my year, and I am immensely thankful for now being involved in an organization that truly warms my cackles. Doing research for Culture is the most fun I’ve ever had writing, and truly blows those college writing assignments out of the water.
- Our readers: With you guys, gals, and other possible entities, none of this would be possible. Watching web traffic statistics can be either a very enjoyable or very frustrating experience, but with the dedication of our beloved readers, you make it as enjoyable as I can imagine. With your support, the masses shall be Cultured and no longer will we be forced into ordering a second-rate Old Fashioned, or watching the bartender pull out a recipe book in confusion as we order an Americana.
- Quality Bourbon: It has been the year of Bourbon, in the spirit realm of Culture of Spirits. I have tried out more brands and styles of Bourbon than I even knew existed last year, and while not all have been enjoyable, it is truly rewarding to find that delectable Kentucky nectar, and then enjoy it straight up, on the rocks, in an Old Fashioned, a Manhattan, or a good ol’ Whiskey Sour.
- Quality Beer: While it may have been the year of Bourbon as far as spirits go, I can not forgot or not be thankful for my staple, which is of course beer. But wait! Not just any beer. Good Beer. The kind that you gingerly lower your nose to and inhale the organic aroma, and take a pleasurable first sip that causes you look over to your companion, raise your eyebrows, and make a toast. While that is a slight exaggeration, there is mostly truth to it. Thank you Sierra Nevada, Rogue, New Belgium, Wedge, Pisgah, and every other brewery that takes quality to the next level, and raises the bar for generations of micro-brewers to come.
- Last but not least, I issue a hearty thanks to everyone around the world who will not let the sentiment of prohibition make headway back into our culture.
Have a happy Holiday, America! This one’s for you! Cheers!